EDR07

Monday, June 02, 2008

JD's Ironhead



Best in Show this year went to Culver City's own JD and his full custom sporty. JD is a humble dude, not one to brag about his skills and talents, but I'll gladly do it for him! This bike just oozed with cool details. Some obvious, some not so. He took home the super badass, custom-painted coffin tank provided by the generous gents at DicE magazine as a trophy and also a sweet set up of new glasses and swag from HOVEN. I'm not sure if JD will build a bike around the tank or just keep it as the ultimate wall-trophy, but either way he earned it. I asked him to sum the bike up for us, and this is what he sent:


'79 Iron Head Sportster Scratch-built; frame, forks, foot controls, seat, side bag, fender mount, muffler, headlight mount. Modified stuff; gas tank sporty, oil tank is an old 30's rototiller gas tank, bars, jockey shift is a 30's car hand brake, head lights are old ford tractor items, horn's a model A. All the old stuff is from my grandpa's farm in Montana. After market stuff, rims, hubs, tires, brakes, fender. I did all the fab work myself; welding, machining, leather work, etc. Keo at Garage Co did the wiring, other than that it was a one-man show. It took a little under 3 years to complete. It was finished a couple of months before the EDR. Two or three good size shake down runs and I was off to Mexico...