EDR07

Friday, May 23, 2008

Pussy Filter


VW Power, baby!

What does this have to do with outlaw choppers? Nothing, but I think it is cool. Back in the 80's I was a total gearhead kid. Enough to volunteer to work in my buddy's uncle's VW shop in Gardena, CA for free. The shop used to be a biker hangout where they machined parts to convert civilian AR-15's to full auto among other things and used to test fire them out of a hole in the wall into the 110 Fwy embankment. Damn! I just missed it. Anyway, next door to our shop was the ultimate privateer off road race crew, Ron Brant and Ron Graham (RIP). We begged to help out of course, and the Rons would let us wash parts or scrape skid plates and hang around and steal beers. Once we were old enough to have licenses we went on a few pre runs and to a few races. This was how me and Matt (your EDR chase driver in the Biltwell van, 2007-2008) got into desert racing. Matt and I were a pretty good chase/pit team and Brant even let us pit for him for the entire pacific side of the Baja 1000 in 1984 or 85 at age 16. We even had a newspaper guy with us for part of the way. I'll try to dig up that article some day but I remember that dude calling us "bright-eyed and bushy-tailed" in print. He had no idea...

Fast forward to more contemporary times, and Matt and I have run our own budget race programs, from Class 11 (stock VW) back in the 90's to most recently in one of Ron's old cars as a Class 13 and 12. Last year Matt had to sell the car and we were without a ride. Last week, SeƱor Brant called and needed some reliable knuckleheads to pre run for this year's Baja 500. As luck would have it our old friend Paul Bailey who owned the VW shop was in town and we drug him down to Baja for a couple days of getting beat up and hanging out.

Recent reports of banditos and kidnappings have got some Baja racers in a tizzy, but not the venerable Ron Brant, and surely not me and Matt. Jesse James, who has been racing the last few years down south summed it up on a recent post on a desert racing forum when he called the international border a "Pussy Filter". While his comment ruffled some feathers, I applauded it. Mexico is rough, and it ain't for everyone. But, for those who love it, you can't quit going just because the threat level increased. Just make sure your shit is wired tight and enjoy it without so many stupid people now as a bonus!


Paul. Master mechanic and all-around nice guy getting his prerun on for the first time in a LONG time! Thanks for coming down PB!

It was a pleasure riding with Ron. Sitting shotgun, even at prerun-pace has been the best off-road driving education I could dream of. At 62 years old, he has forgotten more than I can hope to learn and turned me onto all of my favorite spots in Baja, including Ruben's in San Felipe and many spots in Ensenada. Likewise it was awesome to hang with Paul, the guy who taught me much about spinning wrenches, running a business and other life lessons. Thanks, guys, and Ron -- Good luck next weekend!


Ron Brant at the Summit. 62 years of kicking ass!