EDR07

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

BMW Bill



This year's Huevos Grande award went to a dude named Bill from Austin, Texas. His I-beam framed BMW was quite a site. I have to admit on first glance I thought it was kind of a pile. I stuffed that thought once I heard he rode it to Baja from Austin. Note the hard bag made from an old first aid kit, a tool kit made from an old cast potato cooker. The integrated and plumbed extra fuel on the back... It just gets better. Add to that the fact that some of his gear got caught in the rear wheel and he got spit out into the desert, and the legend grows. Rider and bike survived with just a little hard-earned patina and Bill proudly accepted the custom made seat/trophy crafted by sponsor Rich Phillips, handed out by McGoo in Ensenada. When I pulled up in Temecula, Bill had it in pieces in our parking lot, fitting the new seat! He was continuing on to San Francisco with plans to meet his wife and then start the long ride home. Wow. Pure soul and grace, thanks for coming Bill!


Probably the only time in history a Policia offered to give money TO a gringo...